Biography & Academic Credentials
- Since 2020 Proventis Partners
- Various board mandates and chairman of the supervisory board of various medium-sized chemical and engineering companies (since 2017)
- CEO HCS Group/-Holding, Germany (2011-2019)
- Associate Director Arthur D. Little, Switzerland (2008-2011)
- Member of the Board of Management specialty chemicals group Clariant Int. , Switzerland (2003-2007)
- President Pigments & Additives Division, Clariant (2003-2007)
- Senior Vice President Special Industries, Clariant Int. (2002-2003)
- Senior Vice President Pigments Technology, Clariant Int. (2001-2002)
- Vice President Product Management Pigments, Clariant Int. (1997-2001)
- Vice President Business Process Excellence, Hoechst AG, Germany (1996-1997)
- Director Production I, Cassella AG, power of attorney Hoechst AG (1994-1996)
- Head Corporate Centre, Cassella AG, Germany (1991-1994)
- Plant Manager APIs, Surfactants & Intermediates, Cassella AG (1987-1991)
- R&D Fine chemicals & Intermediates, Cassella AG (1986-1987)
- phil. nat. Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Value generation through sustainability is important, therefore transparency and experience in the field are essential in day-to-day business as well as in strategy development and M&A transactions. Dr. Uwe Nickel knows this from his own experience after more than 33 years in the chemical industry. He worked for various listed and private equity held chemical companies, most recently as CEO of the HCS Group and in various management positions at Clariant and the former Hoechst AG before joining Proventis Partners’ Zurich office as a partner in 2020. Here, he will be responsible for building up the chemicals practice of Proventis Partners. Uwe Nickel will contribute his experience in the management of listed and private equity held companies in the chemical sector. In his past positions, he has accompanied numerous M&A transactions, their integrations, divestments and joint venture formations. Beyond M&A transactions and their integration, he advises clients on strategy development and turnaround management. In doing so, Uwe Nickel never loses sight of the central goal: an optimal result and practical solutions for the client.
Dr. Uwe Nickel (born 1958) has extensive experience in industry and consulting. He has worked for the HCS Group, Clariant International, Hoechst AG and Cassella AG, among others, and gained consulting experience at the consulting firm Arthur D. Little. He completed his studies of chemistry with a doctorate in organic chemistry at the Goethe University Frankfurt.
Selected Transactions and Projects
- Carve-out of Haltermann from an American chemical group and establishment of structures of an independent company
- Acquisition of a medium-sized Asian company and integration into the Pigments and Additives Division of Clariant Int.
- Various small and medium-sized acquisitions in Europe and North America as part of a “buy and build” strategy of the HCS Group
- Divestment of HC Fluids and sale to a medium-sized English company
- Foundation of a pigment joint venture with Baihe in China
- Global restructuring of production sites of Clariant Int.
- Conclusion of various strategic cooperations as part of New Business Development in the specialty and petrochemical sector
- Search und Evaluation of new fields of application in the area of expandable polystyrenes for a large chemical company
- Agrochemicals and expansion strategies for a Middle Eastern country and several Asian companies
- Development and implementation of a customized strategic management process for the HCS Group
- Business Process Excellence – OPEX and organizational development within the Hoechst Group
- Post merger integration consulting for various medium-sized companies